Monday 15 March, 2010

Open Letter to Chairman Railway Board

problems and Issues Facing
By Signal & Telecom Deptt.
This is to bring to your attention that S&T Dept of almost 16 zonal railways have following major issues ( partial list, this is just begining) :
1. Lack of through understanding of how new Interlocking applications are designed.

2. Engineers in S&T dept lack expertise to develop strong requirement specifications and do not have thorough verification & validation methods. According to major contractors or vendors, they think Indian Railways Engineers do not communicate clearly their expectations and this results in poor deliverable. Vendors or contractors also think that this major reason why projects are delayed and costing Indian Railway huge amount of money for simple modifications to design specification, verification and validation activities.

3. Engineers in S&T Dept are quiting Indian Railway to join private sector, one reason could be better pay, chance to work in better technology and training opportunities
Given this situation it is important that Railway Board fix the situation. We all know that S&T (Signaling and Telecommunication is an important backbone of Indian Railways.

Railway Board should recognize that people are the major assets and thorough emphasis should be placed on productivity improvements and what tools or technologies people need to make them successful which will ultimately benefit Indian Railways in upgrading its technology tool set.

Please suggest Railway Board to pay attention to safety.
--
Regards,
Dr. Tapan Kumar Roy (Phd)
Singur, West Bengal

4 comments:

Deepu said...

Most of the railways around the globe have well documented process and procedures,as we know.
IR is lagging far behind for this...Even for one of our metro,I came to know that there is no quality/audit docs.
Over use of track capability,poor maintenance is adding risk to this..

I think ,IR has to start preparing a signalling standards (for all zones,to void different standards followed on each zones)
Design,Construction ,Testing and validation procedures and strict internal/external audit to ensure these are all followed.
In fact God is protecting the IR passengers,fro major disaster.

Some good contractors have their own quality and may be following that...(again loses uniqueness,but some thing is better than nothing)

http://railprofessionals.net/blog/

Unknown said...

29-March-2010
I was on my way to office from chunabatti to Jui Nagar Station, from where my company car picks me up to the office. After alighting the 09:06 am Panvel Train from Chunabatti and getting down @ Jui nagar, i was waiting for my car to pick me up, when I realised the bag I was carrying ( containing original certificates of my wife etc...) was left behind by me in the 1st class compartment I travelled. This was my lifes 1st experience of the kind and i immediately rushed to the Jui Nagar Station master's office the gentleman ( station master) Mr.Ajit Singh was kind enough and he immediately acted upon my complaint and called up his counterpart at panvel station and requested him to look for my bag. In the meantime he asked me to proceed to Panvel to collect the bag( in case if the panvel counterpart was able to get it and was not picked up anyone in between). I was reaching Panvel station when the Jui Nagar Station master called me and confirmed the bag was found and to meet Mr.Prashant the station master @ panvel. I owe my GRATITUDE TO both these gentleman. Regards
Ravi Iyer.

Suresh Tripathi said...

Thanks for your good comments and suggestions.. now come on my another blog named http://saveindianrailways.blogspot.com and give there your valuable suggestions about my indefinite hunger strike for the betterment of India Railways..
www.railsamachar.com

Steffi said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again

Training on CSTM/CSQP/CISQA